On May 2, 2015 I had the pleasure of attending the NY.pm hackathon, which was hosted at the Bloomberg tower in Manhattan. I was privileged to be one of 5 developers to have their travel and hotel sponsored by Bloomberg L.P. This made attending the event very easy for me. Basically all I had to do was show up at the airport and the rest was taken care of for me!
The event was very well organized, had a great vibe and was very encouraging to newcomers (to Perl and to open source contributions). For my part, I was there to work on MetaCPAN and (hopefully) be there as a resource to anyone else who wanted to contribute to MetaCPAN.
I’m happy to say that I got a number of things done. I was able to fix all of the failing tests on ElasticSearchX::Model. This is a module which MetaCPAN relies on heavily. Going into it, I wasn’t sure if the failures were in the code or in the tests. Luckily it was just a problem with the tests, so that was easy enough to fix. I trapped some warnings while I was at it and eventually got a green light from Travis. I got a good chunk of this done on the flight in, so I was able to finish it and release a new version as my first order of business at the hackathon.
Moving forward I continued to work on the MetaCPAN Elasticsearch upgrade, which I was working on at the QA Hackathon. I was able to fix bugs in the module which imports CPAN mirror data into the little known mirror endpoint of the API. I also (mostly) fixed bugs in the module which imports CPANTesters data into the release objects of the API. That still needs some work, but it took a fair amount of digging around.
In addition to this, I worked with MATTP, who added more handy keyboard shortcuts to MetaCPAN. (For example, go to https://metacpan.org/pod/Plack and type “pr” — that will take you straight to the Github pull requests for this repository). I was able to merge and deploy this change at the hackathon.
I also had some good conversations with RJBS about finding recursive dependencies for modules and graphing them. It turns out he already has a workable solution for this and I don’t think converting his code to use MetaCPAN would actually speed things up for him.
I finally met Yanick Champoux, who was a very early contributor to MetaCPAN. I was able to recognize him from the 1/2 of his face which is exposed by his avatar! I should also mention that he helped me find my phone not once, but twice in 24 hours. (I really have to keep better track of it).
And, to round out the namedropping, I also met the following folks for the first time: I had an interesting chat with David Farrell about perltricks.com and using Perl6 to parse Pod. Charlie Gonzalez showed me all of the interesting stuff a Fitbit can track and I had a very brief chats with Nick Patch and Peter Martini, whom I basically crossed paths with as I was headed for my ride to the airport.
This was the 2nd NY.pm hackathon. I have a hunch that this means there will also be a 3rd. If you have a chance to attend this hackathon in future, my advice would be do it!